Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Backie Juice "Our Lord's Corner" (August Edition)


           I remember as a child suffering from numerous and quite painful earaches. Ear aches was my tribulation during that time. Never knew such pain could exist. When it came in the middle of the night it was a nightmare. The house would be in a flurry as I woke my brothers and my sister and my parents. It was the late fifties and early sixties and my father being a country boy had his home remedies.

          One of those was taking hand rolling tobacco, placing it in one of his red handkerchiefs, balling it up and soaking it in a coffee cup of warm water. Then he would place my head sideways on the table and pour the liquid in. Instant warmth and the earache began to subside.

          The miracle was in turning my head down and letting the liquid backie juice out. It got very warm just shy of hot and more times than not I would near fall asleep right there on the kitchen table, as peace would settle over me.

          Today we all face different forms of tribulation whether it is in our daily dealing with people or business. We find ourselves needing stomach meds or Tylenol we all will find ourselves in need of relief from the everyday angst of life. Mine comes from the following verse.

John 16:33

King James Version (KJV)

33 These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

          With a smile I think of this verse much like my daddy’s home remedy. Warmth washes over me as I think of the peace I receive and am reminded of backie juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment